Direct links to event recordings, courtesy of Flying Focus Video Collective:
Criminal Justice: Data and Critique
- Balko, Radley. 2013. Rise of the warrior cop: The militarization of America’s police forces. New York: Public Affairs.
- Carr, Patrick J., Laura Napolitano, & Jessica Keating. 2007. We never call the cops and here is why: A qualitative examination of legal cynicism in three Philadelphia neighborhoods. Criminology 45, 2, 445-480.
- Coates, Rodney D. 2015. A perfect storm. Critical Sociology 41, 6, 845-855
- Cooper, Hannah L. F., & Mindy Fullilove. 2016. Editorial: Excessive police violence as a public health issue. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 93, Suppl 1.
- Gascón, Luis D., & Aaron Roussell. 2019. The limits of community policing: Civilian power and police accountability in Black and Brown Los Angeles. New York: NYU Press.
- Graham, Steven. 2011. Cities under siege: The new military urbanism. London: Verso
- Hayes, Floyd W. III. 2015. War against the people: Killer cops and community terrorism. Critical Sociology 41, 6, 881–885.
- Hutto, Jonathan W., Sr. & Rodney D. Green. 2016. Social movements against racist police brutality and Department of Justice intervention in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 93, 89–121.
- Martinot, Steve & Jared Sexton. 2003. The avant-garde of white supremacy. Social Identities 9, 169–81.
- Richie, Beth E. 2012. Arrested justice: Black women, violence, and America’s prison nation. New York: New York University Press.
- Sewell, Abigail A. & Kevin A. Jefferson. 2016. Collateral damage: The health effects of invasive police encounters in New York City. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 93, 42–67.
- Sexton, Jared. 2007. Racial profiling and the societies of control. In Joy James (ed.) Warfare in the American homeland, Duke University Press, Durham, NC.
- Vitale, Alex S. 2017. The end of policing. London: Verso.
- Williams, Kristian. 2007. Our enemies in blue: Police and power in America. Cambridge, MA: South End Press.
- Williams, Kristian. 2011. The other side of the COIN: Counterinsurgency and community policing. Interface 3: 81–117.
Abolition of Police and Prisons
Important Media Pieces
- 13th. Ava DuVernay, 2016. Available on Netflix.
- Arresting Power: Resisting Police Violence in Portland, Oregon. Jodi Darby, Julie Perini, and Erin Yanke, 2015. Collective Eye Films.
Alternatives to Policing: Tools & Resources