Resources from our two-part event series in Portland, Oregon.
Criminal Justice: Data and Critique
- Balko, Radley. (2013). Rise of the warrior cop: The militarization of America’s police forces. New York: Public Affairs.
- Carr, Patrick J., Laura Napolitano, & Jessica Keating. We never call the cops and here is why: A qualitative examination of legal cynicism in three Philadelphia neighborhoods. Criminology 45.2 (2007): 445-480.
- Coates, Rodney D. A perfect storm. Critical Sociology 41.6 (2015): 845-855
- Cooper, Hannah L. F., & Mindy Fullilove. (2016). Editorial: Excessive police violence as a public health issue. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 93, Suppl 1.
- Gascón, Luis D., & Aaron Roussell. (2019). The limits of community policing: Civilian power and police accountability in Black and Brown Los Angeles. New York: NYU Press.
- Graham, Steven. (2011). Cities under Siege: The New Military Urbanism. London: Verso
- Hayes, Floyd W. III. (2015). War against the people: Killer cops and community terrorism. Critical Sociology 41, 6, 881–885.
- Hutto, Jonathan W., Sr. & Rodney D. Green. (2016). Social movements against racist police brutality and Department of Justice intervention in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 93, Sppl 1.
- Martinot, Steve & Jared Sexton. (2003). The avant-garde of white supremacy. Social Identities 9, 169–81.
- Richie, Beth E. 2012. Arrested justice: Black women, violence, and America’s prison nation. New York: New York University Press.
- Sewell, Abigail A. & Kevin A. Jefferson. (2016). Collateral damage: The health effects of invasive police encounters in New York City. Journal of Urban Health: Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 93, Suppl 1.
- Sexton, Jared. (2007). Racial profiling and the societies of control. In Joy James (ed.) Warfare in the American homeland, Duke University Press, Durham, NC.
- Vitale, Alex S. 2017. The end of policing. London: Verso.
- Williams, Kristian. 2007. Our enemies in blue: Police and power in America. Cambridge, MA: South End Press.
- Williams, Kristian. 2011. “The Other Side of the COIN: Counterinsurgency and Community Policing.” Interface 3: 81–117.
Abolition of Police and Prisons
- Chen, Ching-In, Jai Dulani & Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha (Eds.) (2011). The revolution starts at home: Confronting intimate violence within activist communities. AK Press.
- Davis, Angela Y. (2003). Are prisons obsolete? Seven Stories Press.
- Solnit, Rebecca. (2010). A paradise built in hell: The extraordinary communities that arise in disaster. Penguin.
Important Media Pieces
- The Intercept: Officers Accused of Abuses are Leading Chicago Police’s “Implicit Bias” Training Program
- Longreads: The Battle Over Teaching Chicago’s Schools About Police Torture and Reparations
- The Appeal: Police Policy for Sale: Lexipol, a private for-profit company, has quietly become one of the most powerful voices in law enforcement policymaking in the country
- The Intercept: The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
- Truthout: Ten Lessons for Creating Safety Without Police
- The Nation: In Order to End Police Brutality, We Need to End Police
- Chicago Reader: Abolish the Police? Organizers Say It’s Less Crazy Than It Sounds
- Truthout: Police “Reforms” You Should Always Oppose
- 13th. Ava DuVernay, 2016. Available on Netflix.
- Arresting Power: Resisting Police Violence in Portland, Oregon. Jodi Darby, Julie Perini, and Erin Yanke, 2015. Collective Eye Films.
Alternatives to Policing: Tools & Resources
- Critical Resistance Abolitionist Toolkit: http://criticalresistance.org/resources/the-abolitionist-toolkit/
- INCITE! Stop Law Enforcement Violence Toolkit: https://incite-national.org/stop-law-enforcement-violence-toolkit/
- Fatal Encounters: Police homicide database (interactive link): https://numeracy.co/public/wqzC522zdz.embed
- Oregon death incidents: https://justice.oregon.gov/deathincident/home/search
- Portland Police Bureau: Strategic Insights Report: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/725900
- Use of Force Project: Database: http://useofforceproject.org/database/
- Rose City Copwatch: Alternatives to Police: https://rosecitycopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/alternatives-to-police-draft.pdf
- Aaron Rose’s Alternatives to Police: http://www.aaronxrose.com/blog/alternatives-to-police